Thursday, March 10, 2005

You ever wake up with a song in your head?

I wake up with some obscure song in my head pretty frequently. I don't realize it’s there until I am in the shower, and I find my self humming a song out loud or in my head while scrubbing away at my noggin. It’s always some odd song too, not one that I may have heard the day before on the radio or in a movie and most certainly nothing that is in my CD collection. This morning’s selection was “Blinded by the Light” by Manfred Mann’s Earth Band, and of course I did not know all the correct lyrics so I end up making large parts of them up as I play the tune in my head. So when I get to work I am compelled to look up the lyrics online. I was not surprised to find no less than five sites with incorrect lyrics listed above the official site. I have no idea what caused this particular tune to peculate up from the nether regions of my mind today but let us contemplate the lyrics that the Boss laid down.

Blinded by the light
Revved up like a Deuce
Another runner in the night
[repeat to fade]

Madman drummers bummers Indians in the summer with a teenage
diplomat In the dumps with the mumps as the adolescent pumps his way in to his hat
With a boulder on my shoulder feeling kinda' older I tripped the merry go round
With this very unpleasing sneezing and wheezing the calliope crashed to the ground

The calliope crashed to the ground and she was blinded by the light,
revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night.

Blinded by the light
Revved up like a Deuce
Another runner in the night
[repeat to fade]

Some silicone sister with her manager mister told me I got what it takes
She said I'll turn you on sonny to something strong play the song with the funky break
And go kart Mozart was checkin' out the weather chart see if it was safe outside
And little Early Pearly came by in his curly wurly and asked me if I needed a ride

Asked me if I needed a ride
And she was blinded by the light
Revved up like a deuce
Another runner in the night

Blinded by the light
She got down but she never got tight
She's gonna make it through the night
She's gonna make it through the night

Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun, but mama
That's where the fun is

Some brimstone baritone anti cyclone rolling stone preacher from the east
Says Dethrone the Dictaphone hit it in his funny bone and that's where they expect it least
And some new mown chaperone was standing in
The corner watching the young girls dance
And some fresh sewn moonstone was messing with his frozen zone reminding him of romance

The calliope crashed to the ground
And she was blinded by the light
revved up like a deuce
Another runner in the night

Blinded by the light
Revved up like a Deuce
Another runner in the night
[repeat to fade]

Scott with a slingshot finally found a tender spot and throws his lover in the sand
and some bloodshot forget me not his daddy's within earshot save the buckshot turn up the band.

She got down but she never got tight she's gonna' make it through the night.


If you don’t know what a deuce is (or you though he was singing something else) it becomes clear when you read this. I don’t know if this page conveys a true story but it sounds believable. If you find yourself humming “Blinded by the Light” later today it’s just because you have succumb to my Jedi mind powers, come over to the dark side and feel the power!

2 comments:

Freddy said...

Thank you very much!!!! I'll be humming it for the next few days.

Eddie said...

I don't think I've ever heard this song or the artist. Is it some sort of old polka folk song or something?