Monday, June 06, 2005

My kid aint in this photo**



This past Saturday was meant to be the first installment of my eldest son’s Little Bombers baseball class. Little Bombers is an instructional class to teach boys and girls the basics of baseball, three and four years specifically. I have never been a huge fan of baseball but am enthusiastic about my boys getting involved in organized sports because of the development that kids get when they are involved and enjoying a team sport. Plus it will offer a new activity for me to share with them. Not to mention keeping them active enough to ensure an afternoon nap or an early bed time for Mamma and Daddy to enjoy, wink wink nudge nudge. The first class was being put on Saturday by the local parks and recreation department at 8:45 am. Needless to say my son has been very excited to go he loves to go to the park and the just the opportunity to playing with other kids is enough to get him wound up for days on end because he is very social. We had purchased an inexpensive ball and glove early last week and he has been tagging them around asking each day “are we going to the park today?”. He and I had played catch a little in the kitchen because of the rain we have been getting off and on all week, but nothing compares to getting outside in the sunshine on a grassy field to chuck the horse hide around (as if I know anything about baseball imagery) Unfortunately as I mention we have been getting some heavy rain pretty regularly the last week. So you can imagine my disappointment when I woke up at 7:00am on Saturday to the tap tap pitter pat of rain hitting the skylight in the master bathroom. And sure enough when I looked out our yard was thoroughly soaked. My assumption at that point was that the class would be called so I went back to bed, only to get up an hour and a half later to see that it had stopped raining the sky was clear the birds were singing and the tides had receded. So I spent the remainder of the weekend thinking that in my sloth I had cheated the poor child out of his inaugural venture into organized sports. In an effort to make up for my transgression I took him and his brother to play in the sports field by the church after service on Sunday but still felt a little guilty for him missing out on the chance to play with other yard apes. I called Parks and Rec today so I could find out what notification system was in place to handle inclement weather and not only discovered that there is a specific number for just this sort of update, but my assumption about Saturday had been correct. So woo hoo, I am not a lazy dad I have great intuition. If preschool sports are this stressful I don’t know what I will do when they get older.
** This photo is from a previous year so my boy wouldn’t be in it, this is his first year duh!

No comments: