Tuesday, May 17, 2005

How am I ever going to pull this off!

If you have pulse and have not taken up residence under a rock for say the last 27 years you most like have heard of a little film franchise call Star Wars, and are also most likely aware that the third (or sixth) installment is opening this week. And if you are also Uber-dork born in the early seventies like myself you have celebrated your dweeb by seeing all of the previously installments, bought the DVDs and several of the action figures over time, and used all of your skill and knowledge of the force to infect your own offspring with the love of all things Star Wars.

I might as well to get this out in the open right away. I never saw Attack of the Clones in the theater. I know this admission will likely bring about my eviction from the Star Wars Dorkus malorkus club. I did purchase the DVD as soon as it was available to make up for this transgression. In addition to the fact that the Phantom Menace was a huge let down I made the conscious decision to forgo the Attack of the Clones theater experience because our oldest son was at an age for where it’s a huge pain to see a move with young children. He was too old to sleep through the entire film (like he did with Fellowship of the Ring) and yet too young to be interested in the film. He would have been more interested in picking things up off the theatre floor and popping them in his mouth, than sitting in one place for ninety minutes. Plus I was never able to convince my wife that she was much more likely to enjoy the movie if I went without her while she stayed home with the boy. I don’t regret skipping it because, even though I liked Clones much more than Menace, it will never be as good as the originals and I spent less on the DVD than it would have cost to go to the theatre.

However this is a very different situation. This is the last of the Star Wars movies. I know there are all sorts of rumors that the last three will be made sometime in the future, and I can only hope that someone will (anyone but George Lucas, face it babe the magic just aint there) but for now this is my only hope for closure.

Unfortunately our family situation for movie going is not any better, worse in fact as we have another boy who happens to be at the squirmy age and based on the trailer this movie could be very dark indeed which raises concerns when thinking of my oldest. Because though he is old enough to be interested in all of the Star Wars movies (over and over again) he is not old enough to stave off the dreams that sometimes come from grim visual images.

My lovely Mrs. has planned a movie date for the two of us as a present for my birthday that just passed. I am just concerned that by the time we arrange a suitable sitter for the boys and process the paperwork for a second mortgage in order to finance this date the Magic will be all gone, and I will have heard one too many people say “it was alright but I was kind of disappointed” (sound familiar?) and my excitement will fade. Then I will cave in from frustration and decide to wait until it comes out on DVD, missing the last Star Wars on the big screen. Help me Obi-wan you’re my only hope!

No comments: